Six beef management meetings set Nov. 6-20
Cow-calf and feedlot operators continue to deal with drought-related issues.
Iowa State University Extension and the Iowa Beef Center will continue to offer a series of educational opportunities to address these issues.
The six meetings, titled Drought A Game Changer for Beef Operations: Strategies to Move Forward, include:
- Nov. 6: In the Iowa Cattlemen’s Headquarters in Ames from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Nov. 13: At the Hancock County Extension office in Garner from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Nov. 14: At Northstar Bank, 220 Central Ave, in Esterville from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Nov. 15: At the Badger Community Builiding in Badger from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Nov. 19: At the Dumont Public Library in Dumont from 6:30 p.m. to 9 pm.
- Nov. 20: At the Buena Vista County Extension office, 824 Flindt Drive, in Storm Lake from 9:30 a.m. to noon.
“These fall meetings will focus on managing feed costs and alternative feeds for winter feeding of the cow herd or feedlot.” said Russ Euken, an Extension beef field specialist. “Developing feeding programs that utilize available feeds and keep feed costs in check is the goal.”
With corn costs relatively high producers are searching for ways to reduce corn use, but still maintain performance.
Chemically treating low-quality forages andsupplementing the forage or drought-stressed corn silage will also be a part of the discussion.
A situation update on beef outlook, current beef supply and demand, and feed price outlook will also be provided by Lee Schulz, an ISU Extension livestock economist via a recorded presentation.
A short update on precipitation outlook will be provided by Dr. Elwynn Taylor via a recorded presentation.
The meetings will also give an introduction to planning for next year and beyond.
factors producers should be considering
Additional meetings are being considered for later in the winter.
Topics for these meetings will be determined as the weather and economic situation develop.
There will be a $10 person fee payable at the door to cover refreshments and other miscellaneous costs.
To find other meeting locations in the state contact a local county Extension office.
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page