Statewide fall barn tour set Saturday, Sunday
(IBF) – Historic, restored barns throughout the state will be opened during the Iowa Barn Foundation’s free, self-guided, all-state barn tour from 8:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. on Sept. 28 and Sept. 29.
Barns on the tour within the Farm News coverage area include:
- Johnson barn, 4594 Vine Ave., Sutherland (O’Brien County): From Sutherland, travel one mile north on County Road M 12. The barn is on the northeast corner of the intersection of M12 and B 53. This barn was built about 1920 for John Adams, a dairy farmer. It has a footprint of more than 2,000 square feet.
Twin cupolas and horse weathervanes are original. Arched rafters had to be hoisted in place with pulleys and horse power. This allowed for access to the loft without support poles.
- Lorch Mennonite barn, 220th Street and White Avenue, in Ocheyedan (Osceola County). This Mennonite barn was built in 1889 and has a distinctive overhanging side.
- Ackerman barn, one-half mile north of Ocheyedan on the corner of County Road L-58 and Iowa Highway 9. The barn and matching hog shed were built between 1915 and 1918. The barn is 84-by-36-feet; the hog house is 56-by-24-feet. At one time, two Russian carpenters lived in the haymow of the hog house.
- Belfrage barn, 2410 Port Neal Road, Sergeant Bluff (Woodbury County). Take Port Neal exit off of I-29 then go west 2 miles to the first intersection. Turn right and go 2 miles north. The farm is on the right. Owner’s great-grandfather, John Belfrage, served in the Civil War, and bought the land on which this barn stands in 1875. A carpenter named Aaron Gunderson built the barn in 1910.
- Conover barn, 5315 190th Street, Holstein (Ida County). From Holstein travel 1.5 mile west on U.S. Highway 20. Turn south on L67 and go 3 miles. Turn left on 190th. It is the first place on north side of road. The barn was built around 1900 and used by C.B. Conover and his son, C.B. Jr., for their Belgian draft horses. Harry Linn, Iowa’s secretary of agriculture, gave draft horse demonstrations here.
- Jensen barn, 2410 560th Ave., Ringsted (Emmett County). Travel one mile east of Ringsted on blacktop. Then go one-eighth mile south on P12. The barn, with attached milk house, was built in 1938. Track and carriage in hayloft are still used to lift hay into the barn.
- Hansen barn, 4015 340th Ave., Ruthven. (Clay County). Take N18 for 4 miles south of Ruthven. A one-of-a-kind landmark corncrib, built in the 1940s, holds 7,000 bushels of ear corn and 4,000 bushels of small grain. In the middle of the crib is a bucket system that transports ear corn to the top of the corncrib and releases it into multiple outlets.
- Ascherl barn, 4680 McKinley Ave., Granville (O’Brien/Sioux counties). From Granville, go one mile east on Iowa Highway 10 and a half-mile south on gravel. The barn is on the east side of road. This landmark barn was built in 1914.
- Battaglioli barn, 4819 480th St, Granville (O’Brien County). From Granville, take Iowa Highway 10 east 2 miles. Turn south on Monroe Street and drive 2 miles to 480th Street. Then travel east a quarter of a mile.
- Ferguson barn, 40415 130th Ave., Laurens (Pocahontas County). The barn is 3.5 miles straight north of Laurens at 40415 130th Ave. The barn and landmark “conehead” crib were built in 1912. The elevator still works.
- Clancy barn, 1866 Marengo (Iowa Highways 4 and 7), Pomeroy (Calhoun County). The barn was built in 1948 by Leo Clancy, charter member of Charlois Association, who raised the cattle on the farm.
- Dreyer barn, 102 310th St., Fenton (Kossuth County). From the south side of Fenton, turn west on County Road B19. Go 1/2-mile west to second place of south side of road. The barn was built in 1903 and used as dairy barn until 1944. There is a 1,000-gallon wooden water storage tank in hayloft. Manure unloading system is intact.
North central Iowa
- Tenold barn, 4356 Wheelerwood Road (frontage road), Northwood. The barn is 3.5 miles south of Iowa Highway 105. Family farm and barn, built at the turn of the century, is across from what was the town of Tenold, which was on the Iowa map until 1960.
- Chizek barn, 1665 250th St., Garner (Hancock County). Go west out of Garner on U.S. Highway 18 to U.S. Highway 69 and north for one mile and then left on 250th Street. The barn was built by Albert Chizek, owner’s grandfather, in 1942. It has an open loft area.
- Hoarce Hendrickson barn, 2035 490th St., Northwood (Worth County). Go east from Northwood on Iowa Highway 105 for 5 miles. Turn left on S56 to 490th Street. Turn east. The barn was built in 1894. The farm was purchased by owner’s great-grandfather after arriving from Norway. This was one of five farms he bought – one for each son.
- Harvey barn, 4516 190th St., Estherville (Emmet County). Take Iowa Highway 9 through Gruver. Turn south on N40. Go 2 miles. Turn east one mile. The farm was homesteaded in 1899. Dan Harvey’s great grandparents built the barn in 1927.
- Yezek barn, 22881 Vine Ave., Plymouth (Cerro Gordo County). From Rock Falls, go one mile north on the county blacktop. The barn is on the east side of the road. This 32-by-52-foot barn with metal cupola was built in 1930 and is one of the only barns standing in the area. The barn was in vulnerable condition when the Yezeks started restoration.
- Bennett barn, 1664 Eagle Ave., Latimer (Franklin County). Take I-35 to Iowa Highway 3, turning west for one mile to Eagle Avenue. Turn north and go 2.5 miles. This handsome clay tile barn, with round laminated rafter roof, was built in 1950 by Henning Construction Co., of Latimer, for a dairy herd. The cow stanchions had drinking cups. There is a chain lift manure carrier.
- Dodd barn, 1854 40th St., Ackley (Franklin County). Travel 4 miles west of Ackley on Iowa Highway 57. Turn north on S55 for 2 miles to 40th Street. Go one mile west. The barn was built by Ernest Aldinger, one of three Aldinger brothers who built farms within a mile of each other.
West central Iowa
- Ellis barn, 2370 Fletcher Ave., Lytton (Calhoun County). The barn is 3 miles east and 2.5 miles north of Lytton. A landmark red barn, used to raise Red Rock Arabians, is called the “big red barn” by locals. It was built in 1918 and is 40 feet high to the eaves. It has 3-by-12-inch timbers.
- Renze barn, 22695 Highway 71, Carroll (Carroll County). Located 3 miles west of Carroll, the farm was known as “Old Mattes Place.”
- Sextro Crib, 12708 280th St, Manning (Carroll County). From Carroll, go 8 miles west on U.S. Highway 30; 9 miles south on M68, then one-fourth mile west. A landmark corn crib was built in the early 1900s. One of the oldest cribs in the area.
- Klousia barn, 1766 165th St., Hampton (Franklin County). At the intersection of U.S. Highway 65 and Iowa Highway 3 in Hampton, turn east for 2 miles. Then travel north for 2 miles and finally west a fourth-mile. The barn of peg construction is on a hill on a gorgeous farmstead. The owner copied a Wisconsin dairy barn when he built it in 1888. The barn was proudly placed on the most prominent position on the farm.
- Oakdale Farm/Grave of Farceur, 787 210th St., (Boone County). Take old Highway 30 to Ogden and turn north on P70 for 1 mile to 210th Street. Turn right to 787. The barn is on the left side of the road. The barn, where Farceur, the world-famous Belgian was buried in 1921, is one of Iowa’s hidden treasures. C.G. Good bought 12-year-old Farceur, the San Francisco World’s Fair champion, for $47,000 in 1915. The horse was a service stud, and, to this day, Farceur’s name is on pedigrees of Belgians. Following a European custom, Good buried the horse in the stall of the stud barn – standing up.
- Thurmond-Adams barn, the south edge of Williams (Hamilton County). From D25 south of Williams, turn north on R75. Turn right on 4th Avenue, right on Spruce Street, and right on Evergreen Avenue. The owner recently inherited 36-by-63-foot tongue and groove barn, with 2-inch vertical siding, and 2 acres from his uncle. He has made the once sad-looking structure a Williams landmark.
- Sparks barn, 15737 E. Ave., Alden (Hardin County). Take Alden/Buckeye exit off U.S. Highway 20. Go north to D25. Go west to E. Avenue. E. G. Herman, 1923, Dubuque, is painted on west inside wall of this very large barn.
- Handsaker barn, 65627 200th, Fernald (Story County). The barn is immediately southeast of Fernald which is off E29 west of U.S. Highway 65, north of Colo. The large, unique 1875 square barn is on farm purchased by Handsakers in 1853. The family gave land for Fernald.
- Twedt barn, 63645 160th St., Nevada (Story County). From the junction of E14 and S14 in Nevada, turn north and go 6 miles to 160th Street. Turn east for 1.5 miles. This barn has 40 two-ply laminate rafters to support its rounded roof so the hayloft is free of posts and beams. The farm was once owned by Hoyt Sherman, brother of William Tecumseh Sherman, U.S. Army general. This is an example of how a small barn can highlight a farm.
- Pfantz barn, 210 4th Ave. NE., State Center (Marshall County). From U.S. Highway 30, go into State Center. Fourth Street is on the north side of railroad tracks. The barn is behind Victorian house. A unique horse barn was built in 1902 for Craig Pfantz’s great-grandfather, a well-known horse broker. The barn has such unique features as handmade screens and a milk cellar and balloon rafters.
- Buck barn, 1271 285th St., State Center (Marshall County). From State Center, go west 1 mile to Cooper Avenue. Go 4.5 miles south to 285th Street. Turn left on gravel. The barn is at first place on left and is an example of how a potential tear-down can be turned into a jewel.
- Dobbin round barn, 2551 Brown Ave., State Center (Marshall County). From State Center, go west 1 mile to Cooper Avenue and turn south. Turn west onto 255th Street, then left onto Brown Avenue. The 1917 barn was a pre-cut structure designed and made to order by Gordon Van Tine, of Davenport, for $6000. Carpenters Ike Ingersol and Amos Thompson assembled the numbered pieces into the 65-foot diameter barn with silo in the middle.
- Boriskey barn, 2115 230th St., Marshalltown (Marshall County). At intersection of U.S. Highway 30 and Iowa Highway 330, go north 1.3 miles and turn left onto short gravel drive that crosses to county road E41 (230th Street). Turn left west for seven-tenths of a mile. The barn is on the north and is known as “long horse barn on 30.” It was manufactured by Super Structures, of Albert Lea, Minn., and built in 1958. Native lumber was used for the horse stalls.
- Richards barn, 2201 R. Ave., Jamaica, (Greene County). The barn is 2.5 miles east of Cooper, or 7 miles north of Jamaica, on P 30. Turn east for 1/2 mile to R Avenue and go 1/2 mile south to the first farm on the east side of the road. The Thornburgh homestead shows off the original buildings, which have been preserved, including a 1930s milking barn with original stanchions.
- Purviance barn, 21501 H Ave., Minburn. (Dallas County). Take P58 (from Perry, go south at Hy-Vee corner or from Iowa Highway 44, go north) to F 31. Turn west for 2 miles. Turn south on H Avenue and go 1/2 mile to first farm on west side of road. Local craftsmen built this historic family farm in 1913 for Robert Purviance, a prominent Dallas County farmer. The house and two barns are original.
- Kenan barn, 2260 270th St., Rippey (Greene County). Go 2 miles north of Rippey on T46. Then one-fourth mile west on 270th Street. This brick barn, built in the late 1800s, has a matching corn crib. The barn has the original rope pulley and forks.
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page