Keep Branstad in governor’s chair
Four years ago, Iowa voters brought Terry Branstad, a four-term former governor, out of retirement because the Hawkeye State faced woes so severe that a proven leader was needed in the governor’s chair.
The record of Branstad’s fifth term has proved that decision to have been wise.
In 2010, the Iowa economy was sluggish, unemployment was uncomfortably high and state government finances were a mess. Today the situation is far different.
- Family incomes grew 17.1 percent from 2010-2013.
That’s a record that surpassed 45 other states during the same period.
- Unemployment in our state has declined nearly 30 percent since January 2011. More than 150,000 new jobs have been created.
- The state’s budget is balanced. A sea of red ink has been eliminated.
Budgeting reforms have been implemented that should keep the state’s finances in order well into the future.
- The state government is leaner and more efficient than it was in 2012.
The executive branch has trimmed its work force by nearly 1,500 employees. Additionally, the Branstad administration has implemented measures to make the state’s bureaucracy more responsive to the public.
- An aggressive plan to make Iowa’s schools once again unsurpassed by those anywhere else in the nation has been launched.
- Property taxes have been reformed. Iowa’s largest property tax cut ever was signed into law in 2013.
These changes will make it easier to attract the corporate investment needed to keep the state’s economy growing.
- A skilled-work-force initiative has been launched to ensure that Iowans will have the expertise and talents employers will require not only today, but long into the future.
With Branstad leading the way, Iowa is becoming a success story that is the envy of folks who live in many other states.
None of this happened by accident.
The governor came into office with a game plan to make state government a positive force for economic growth with an unfailing commitment to using taxpayers’ dollars prudently.
Farm News enthusiastically endorses the re-election of Terry Branstad as governor. His record demonstrates that he is superbly qualified to lead this state for another four years.
Iowans have made Branstad the longest-serving governor in the nation. His accomplishments in office during his fifth term are ample proof the governor remains at the top of his game.
We urge voters to keep him at the helm.
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page