Ag’s future, markets topics for ag show
FORT DODGE – How to manage markets in 2015, the future of agriculture and farming application for better water quality are three of the seven topics to be explored during the Farm News’ 13th annual ag show on Dec. 3 and Dec. 4.
The three topics comprise the ag show’s Dec. 4 line-up. They are:
- David Kruse, president of CommStock Investments and a Farm News columnist, will speak from 8 a.m. until 9:30 a.m. and will discuss “Outsmarting the Bears: You Eat the Bear or the Bear Eats You.” Kruse’s appearance is sponsored by Webster County Farm Bureau.
- Jill McDonald, product quality manager for Hellenbrand Inc., based out of Waunakee, Wisconsin, will speak from 10 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. and will discuss “Water Quality and Agricultural Applications.”
McDonald’s appearance is sponsored by Blue Ribbon Pelham Waters.
- Dr. Neil Harl, Charles F. Curtiss distinguished professor in agriculture at Iowa State University, will speak from 1 p.m. until 2:30 p.m. and will discuss “Agriculture’s Future: A Replay of the 1980s?” Harl’s appearance is sponsored by Northwest Bank of Fort Dodge and Brokaw Supply Co.
The ag show will run from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Dec. 3 and from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Dec. 4 at the Iowa Central Community College East Campus, 2031 Quail Ave., Fort Dodge.
This location formerly housed Smithway Motor Xpress on the east side of Fort Dodge and is the same location as the 2013 ag show.
More than 30,000 square feet of exhibitor space and more than 70 exhibitors from Iowa and surrounding states will showcase their latest state-of-the-art technology in grain products, equipment, ag services, seed varieties and farm toys. Parking is free, and there is no admission charge to the show.
Those attending the show can register to win a Bobcat pressure washer, valued at more than $1,500. The pressure washer is provided by R & J Material Handling, Fort Dodge, and Farm News.
The four Dec. 3 speakers are:
- Elwynn Taylor, ISU climatologist, will speak from 9 a.m. until 10:15 a.m. and will discuss “Crop Weather Outlook 2015 and Beyond.”
- Brent Johnson, owner of Labre Crop Consulting, will speak from 10:30 a.m. until noon and will discuss “Precision Ag Using Drones.” Johnson’s appearance is sponsored by Labre Crop Consulting.
- Myron Friesen, part-owner and financial representative for Farm Financial Strategies, will speak from 1:30 p.m. until 3 p.m. and will discuss “Farm Succession Strategies: By Design, Not By Default.” Friesen’s appearance is sponsored by Farm Financial Strategies.
- Shane Ellis, an ISU ag and farm management specialist, will speak from 3:30 p.m. until 5 p.m. and will discuss “Understanding the 2014 Farm Bill.” Ellis’s appearance is sponsored by United Bank of Iowa, Fort Dodge.
Water will be served during the speaker presentations by Blue Ribbon Pelham Waters of Fort Dodge.
Readers from across 33 counties in northwest and north central Iowa will have a chance to meet face-to-face with more than 70 exhibitors.
Lunch is available on-site by the Webster County Pork Producers from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Dec. 3 and by the Webster County Beef Producers from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Dec. 4.
Meals will be served by the Growth Alliance Ag Leaders with the help of Iowa Central Community College agricultural students.
There will be a free pancake breakfast for the first 525 guests from 7:30 a.m. until 9:30 a.m. on Dec. 4. The breakfast is catered by Chris Cakes and is sponsored by Lundell Plastics, of Odebolt.
Farm News ag show partners include Iowa Central Community College, Webster County Farm Bureau, R & J Material Handling, Lundell Plastics, Brokaw Supply Company, Northwest Bank of Fort Dodge, Blue Ribbon Pelham Waters, Labre Crop Consulting, Farm Financial Strategies, John Pitzer Sales, Growth Alliance Ag Leaders, Webster County Pork producers and the Webster County Beef Producers.
For more information, contact Dana Lantz, advertising manager, Farm News, 713 Central Ave., Fort Dodge, IA 50501 or firstname.lastname@example.org, (515) 574-4451, or (800) 622-6613, ext. 450.
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page