×
×
homepage logo

Iowa dad, son die overcome by hog pit fumes

By Staff | Jul 30, 2015

CYLINDER (AP) – Authorities say a 58-year-old Iowa man tried to rescue his son who was overcome by fumes in a hog manure pit, but both men later died.

The accident occurred Saturday afternoon in the northwest Iowa community of Cylinder.

The Palo Alto County Sheriff’s office said Gene Opheim, and his 32-year-old son, Austin Opheim, were making repairs when Austin was overcome by the gases.

His father then entered the pit to save his son, but also was overcome.

Fire and rescue personnel were called to the scene.

The Sheriff’s office said the men were removed from the pit and taken to Palo Alto County Hospital in Emmetsburg, where they were pronounced dead.

Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page