ILF sets field day at Smeltzer Learning Farm
OTHO – Iowa Learning Farms and the Smeltzer Charitable Trust will host a field day from 5:00-7:30 p.m. on Sept. 2 at the the Smeltzer Learning Farm, County Road P59 in Otho.
The field day will focus on the idea of integrating several conservation farming practices to help reduce soil erosion and nutrients entering Iowa’s water bodies.
The field day will be led by Angie Rieck-Hinz, ISU Extension field agronomist. Speakers and topics include:
- Matt Helmers Iowa State University Extension water quality engineer, will review the Iowa Nutrient Reduction Strategy. Field day attendees will be able to see some of the practices on the farm that are being used to reduce nitrates leaving the fields.
- Ralph Storm Storm Flying Service, will aerially seed a cover crop plot on the farm.
- Harry Ahrenholtz Iowa Soybean Association, will explain the role of the Agriculture’s Clean Water Alliance
- Todd Sutphin and Keegan Kult Iowa Soybean Association, will explain the bioreactor and saturated buffer.
- Nathan Stein senseFly and Dave Nelson with Brokow Supply, will present information on the use of drones in agriculture.
Field day attendees will be able to see some of the practices on the farm that are being used to reduce nitrates leaving the fields.
There is no cost for the event, and the Webster County Cattlemen will provide a complimentary dinner prior to the event.
Contact the Webster County Extenson office at (515) 576-2119 for more information and to RSVP.
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page