Farmland leasing meetings continue through August
AMES – With more than half of Iowa’s farmland under some form of lease agreement, leasing is a key issue for the state’s tenants and landowners to understand.
Because of this prominence, Iowa State University Extension has made leasing a key component to its educational efforts. A series of meetings in each county started in july and continue through August and a final meeting in September.
Within the Farm News coverage area, the remaining meetings will be:
- Sac County – 9:30 a.m. to noon, Sac County Extension office, 620 Park Ave., Sac City.
- Sioux County – 9:30 a.m. to noon, Sioux County Extension office, 400 Central Ave., NW, Suite 700, Orange City.
- Calhoun County – 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., Calhoun County Extension office, 325 Court St., Rockwell City.
- Lyon County – 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m., Rock Rapids Public Library, Rock Rapids.
- O’Brien County – Northwest Iowa Community College, 603 W Park St., Sheldon.
- Hardin County – 7 p.m. to 9:390 p.m., Ellsworth Community College campus, 1100 College Ave., Iowa Falls.
- Hamilton County – 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Hamilton County Extension office, Webster City.
- Wright County – 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m., Wright County Extension office, 210 1st St., SW, Clarion.
- Franklin County: 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., Youth for Christ Building, 420 4th St SE., Hampton.
- Humboldt County – 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., Humboldt County Extension office, Humboldt.
- Pocahontas County – 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m., Pocahontas County Extension office, 305 North Main St., Pocahontas.
- Palo Alto/Emmet counties – 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Immaculate Conception Parish, 301 N. Cameron St., Graettinger.
- Hancock County: 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m., Garner Education Center, 327 West 8th St., Garner.
- Dickinson County: 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Spirit Lake Community Room, 1602 15th St., Spirit Lake.
- Kossuth County – 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Burt Activity Complex, 403 Bush St., Burt.
- Webster County – 9 a.m. to noon, Webster County Extension office, 217 S. 25th St., Suite. C12, Southeast corner of Crossroads Mall, Fort Dodge.
- Woodbury County – 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Woodbury County Extension office, Sioux City.
- Marshall County – 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., Fisher Community Center, 709 South Center St., Marshalltown.
- Polk County – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Polk County Extension office, 1625 Adventureland Drive., Altoona.
After a peak in the statewide average for cash rents on cropland acres of $270 in 2013, cash rents have been slowly declining. Even with prices down, an estimated $3.6 billion changed hands through rental agreements in 2015.
The decline in cash rent prices has not decreased to the same degree as agricultural revenues.
Because of this there is increased pressure on farm operations with a large portion of their acres under a rental agreement. ISU Extension and Outreach farm management specialists provide an unbiased look at the current farm situation for all parties involved in farmland lease agreements.
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page