×
×
homepage logo

Man airlifted after anhydrous exposure

By Staff | Nov 9, 2016

WEBSTER CITY – One man was airlifted to a hospital Monday afternoon after being exposed to anhydrous ammonia.

The man’s name and the hospital that he was taken to weren’t available Monday.

He came in contact with anhydrous ammonia while working on a tank in a farm field along Keokuk Avenue in Wright County, according to Capt. Paul Neeson of the Fort Dodge Fire Department.

Neeson is a member of the regional hazardous materials response team based in Fort Dodge.

He said a small amount of the anhydrous ammonia spilled onto the man.

According to Neeson, another person began driving the man to Van Diest Medical Center in Webster City. Along the way, they called 911. Neeson said a Hamilton County dispatcher told them to stop so that the man could be properly decontaminated before arriving at the hospital.

The vehicle stopped along White Fox Road north of Webster City. Hamilton County sheriff’s deputies, Webster City firefighters, paramedics from Van Diest Medical Center and the regional hazardous materials team were sent to that location.

Neeson said the team was dispatched at 12:12 p.m.

The man was washed down with water at that location and loaded into a UnityPoint HealthLifeflight helicopter.

Members of the hazardous materials team then went to the Wright County location and checked the anhydrous ammonia tank.

Neeson said it was not leaking when they arrived. He said someone from a local cooperative was asked to inspect the tank and the hazardous materials team returned to Fort Dodge.

Anhydrous ammonia burns the skin and respiratory system of people exposed to it.

Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page