It’s once again Beef Month in Iowa
May is beef month.
For many of us, every month is a time to partake of a food that ranks high on the list of culinary favorites.
It’s no secret that Americans have a love affair with beef. That’s been true for generations and the demand for this tasty and healthy product is on the rise – up about 15 percent in the last decade.
The passion for beef is widely shared in the Hawkeye State. It is the beef industry’s vital role in the states’ economy, however, that warrants special recognition.
Here are some facts about the beef industry courtesy of the Iowa Beef Industry Council:
– Animal proteins such as lean beef are complete, high-quality proteins that contain all the essential amino acids your body needs.
– Raising beef today requires less water, and energy and has a smaller environmental footprint thanks to continuous improvements by farmers and ranchers
– Compared to 1960, there are half as many farmers and ranchers today feeding a U.S. population that has more than doubled.
– Cattle farmers have invested more than $30 million since 1993 in safety research and outreach programs. The beef community as a whole invests at least $550 million in safety annually.
– One farmer or rancher today raises enough food to feed 155 people compared to just 19 in 1940. In fact, less than 1 % of the U.S. population raises our food.
Iowans have celebrated Beef Month for more than four decades and with good reason. There can be little doubt that Iowa helps set the standard nationally for production of top-quality beef.
Iowa’s beef producers take pride in their role in helping feed not only our nation but also the world beyond. Beef Month is a good time for us all to reflect on this industry’s importance to Iowa.
Please join Iowa beef producers in celebrating the month and enjoy the high quality, nutritious, mouth watering beef that Iowa is known around the world for.
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page